5721 Lake Murray Boulevard, Apt. 24, La Mesa CA 91942 email@example.com, 530-355-6193
- Experienced language instructor, recognized by students and colleagues for my passion for teaching
- Native fluent in English, Spanish and French, 3 years residence in France, 20 years in Mexico
- Visionary, adept at simplifying language concepts for easier access and comprehension
- Personal Integrity, respectful and supportive of students of all ages and backgrounds
- Sense of humor, ability to make students feel comfortable as they approach the daunting task of learning a new language
- Artistic/creative, maintaining students’ attention by designing original materials and finding new approaches to learning
- Goal-oriented, guiding students to set and meet optimum goals in accordance with each student’s individual skills and approach to learning
TEACHING EXPERIENCE – ACHIEVEMENTS
Current: Substitute teacher for English, Spanish, French and Art – all levels, kindergarten to 8th grade. San Diego French American School, La Jolla California (work unavailable since January 2020 – Covid regulations)
Private Language Instructor, Spanish, French, English 30 years. Helping students acquire and perfect their language skills for work, school and travel, including preparation in vocabulary-specific disciplines, and English as a foreign language for students from foreign countries living in the U.S.
English Instructor – JEI School, Korean, Chula Vista, 2 years.
Directed the after school English Language program for 30 students, continuous, and occasional. Developed and conducted a 4-week summer creative language course for six students. Taught English grammar, creative writing and independent study for optimum acquisition of English concepts to students from 1st grade through Jr. High and High School, supplemented by workbooks provided by the school. Personally developed the English Language lessons for three Jr/high school students and one adult.
Spanish II Instructor, Shasta College, Redding, California, Adjunct, 7 years
- While tutoring Spanish, French and English in the Language Lab, I was recommended and hired for the newly-vacated Spanish II Adjunct position.
- Compiled, wrote and illustrated the text, based on the course requirements. Text was subsequently printed for the Language Department.
- Taught Spanish I and II for seven years, conducting classes entirely in Spanish. Students completed the course with a high level of fluency, meeting their language goals with confidence.
- Designed and taught a Spanish for Travelers, 2-week intensive course for the Shasta College Adult Education Program.
Spanish Teacher, Bishop Quinn High School, Palo Cedro, California, full time, I year
- Taught 2nd level Spanish to a class with anticipated 1st level insufficient preparation, and brought the students up to level to successfully complete their second years Spanish.
- All but two of the 20 students earned a final grade of B or above.
Spanish and French Instructor, Language Door, San Diego, California, 4 years
- Small group, private, immersion, and intensive courses.
- Designed all course content and materials for my advanced classes.
- For KPBS, gave a 2-hour Spanish Flash Course for interviewing native Spanish speakers, to 15 journalists and reporters.
French/Spanish Teacher, Cascade College Preparatory School for At-risk Youth, Whitmore, CA Full time, 3 years Head of Language Department
As Head of the Language Department, specializing in French, I worked to instill a spirit of excellence and self-respect in the students, while maintaining high standards of conduct, and a respectful, understanding rapport between teacher and students.
- Developed a new workshop approach to teaching, designed to facilitate language acquisition and build confidence in students with serious disciplinary problems resulting from extremely difficult family backgrounds
- Designed and requisitioned a new library of materials to support the workshop approach.
- Taught French levels I through IV, 8 – 12 students per class.
- Taught Spanish levels I and II, 8 – 12 students per class.
- Gave additional art classes in the evenings and during the summer.
French Teacher, Alliance Française, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, Full time, 5 years
- Taught French I and II
Interim Director, Alliance Française, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, 6 months
- Served as Interim Director, and as diplomatic liaison between the Jalapa and Paris Alliance Française’s
- Taught French Beginning to Advanced while acting Director.
French Teacher, University of Veracruz, Jalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, 2 years
- Taught French I and II, part time, while working part time at The Mexican National Institute for Research on Biotic Resources (INIREB), until I was hired full time by the latter institute.
English Teacher, INIREB, Masters School of Botany, Jalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, 2 years
- Taught English part time to Spanish speaking students studying for the Master’s Degree in Botany while employed full time in other capacities at the Institute.*
ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE RELATED EMPLOYMENT:
Translator, Spanish-French-English, One Hour Translation, Internet Translation Service, 6 years
- Classification: Expert Translator and Preferred Translator
- Artist: Closing art on commission for real estate clients, Souvenart, San Diego, CA
Translator, interpreter, graphic/scientific illustrator, communications liaison: INIREB, Jalapa, Veracruz, Mexico, Full time, 7 years
- Illustrations and translations were published in Mexican and International Revues, and several Master’s Theses
Spanish/English Distance Phone Interpreter, OMNI Lingual Services, Inc. Thousand Oaks, California, Full time, 3 years
Quality Control and, Voice-over, Semi-Logic Entertainment, Palo Cedro, California, Contract, as needed
- Provided revisions for Fisher Price/Mattel children’s instructional videos in Spanish, 2 years Contract, as needed
- Did the Spanish voice-over for the female character in a video for teaching Spanish to adults
Independent Contractor, Spanish Interpreter, 10 years, as needed
- Shasta County Department of Social Services, Redding, California
- Bay Area Translations, San Francisco, California
- H & B Law Offices, Redding, California
- Shasta County Court, lawyer depositions, Redding, California,
- Chiropractor/Physician/Patient support, various clients, Redding California
- Oxford Suites Hotel, janitorial staff training, Redding, California
Supervising Community Health Advocate, Shasta County Public Health Department, Redding California, Full time, 1 year
- Supervised 5 Community Health Advocates helping the under-served populations of the Hispanic, Mien, Black and Homeless communities of Shasta County with their special health and economic needs.
Migrant Child Advocate, U.S Migrant Child Education, Redding, California, Full time, 3 years
Freelance Reporter, Writer, Shasta Lake Bulletin, Shasta Lake City, California, Part time Contract, 2 years, By-lines publishedee
Column Writer, The Screaming Penny Column, Artazine.org, Internet art teaching and networking resource, part time 3 years
Degree in French Didactics, Language and Civilization – U.S. master’s equivalent: University of
Paris, Sorbonne (l’ESPPPFE), Paris, France
Certification in Universal Phonetics: Institut de Phonétique, University of Paris, Paris, France
Advanced Achievement Diploma (post graduate) French Language: Alliance Française, Jalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
- Awarded certificate of Honor from the Paris Alliance Française, for outstanding achievement
Associate of Arts Modern Language: Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut, California
- Selected for exclusive Honors Sociology Class
- Member of the delegation to the Junior United Nations in San Francisco
- President of the International Students Club
Associate of Arts, Fine Art: Shasta College, Redding, California
- Dean’s List all semesters
- Received the Marty Brandum scholarship for returning students, two years in succession
Music Theory, Voice, Beginning Piano, Computer Graphics: Shasta College, Redding, California
- Courses for personal enrichment while studying for my Associate Degree, and teaching adjunct at the college
- Performing Member of the Community Choral
- ADDITIONAL TRAINING
Supervisor Advancement Training: Shasta County Manager/Supervisor Institute, Redding, California
Pandemic Awareness: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Training, Redding, California
HIV Awareness and Sensitivity Training: Shasta County Public Health Department, Redding, California
Health and Education Advocacy: Migrant Child Education, Redding, California